08 April, 2016

Transportation (3/30)

The biggest purchase you are likely to make is your house. Now, that should be one thing that gets a great deal of critical thought. I'll mention houses in a future post.

The second largest purchase is a car. As I mentioned, I didn't bother with critical thinking until late in life. So cars were bought on a whim and I have no regrets. Until I did. After university I got a car with my first job. Then a change of role without a company car. My dad sold me his well looked after executive car, (Honda Accord.) which was brilliant until it wasn't. I decided I wanted a motorbike.

My critical thinking skills led me to a brand new motorcycle. (Suzuki GS500.) However, within minutes the salesman had sold me a larger bike. (Suzuki GSF650.) Two years later, I was offered a test ride on an ugly looking bike. (Yamaha XJ6.) Which was odd because I had only gone in to buy a rucksack. I bought that very same bike that weekend. So far, no effective critical thought. Within 9 months I was trying to trade it in for yet another brand new motorcycle. (Fuoco 500. Long story.)

Wow, quite a lot to follow. Basically, not enough critical thought. It took four years critical thought before purchasing my current steed. (Kawasaki W800.) Which I have had for two years without a single thought about swapping it for something else.

So what changed? Me. I went into the dealership, stated that I wanted to swap my current bike, I pointed to a bike and said I wanted that one and firmly stated my buy price. This time there was no up selling. My mind was made up. I had considered a great many options and made my choice. It was and is the most expensive thing I own.

It was far cheaper than the combined losses on the proceeding bikes and car. More importantly, I can look at and appreciate other motorcycles without feeling that I own the wrong bike. I enjoy riding my bike. I don't believe that owning or riding any other bike would make me happier. In summary, I am content with my motorbike.

Actually, I own two. The other will be replaced, when and only when, I have decided what to replace it with. (Yamaha YBR125.) I have decided that I do need two.

What about cars, you may ask. That is easy. For local trips, where a motorbike is not suitable, I use a taxi. For longer trips, the train or a hire car. Sometimes I hire a small car, sometimes a large car.

That is my current critically thought out transportation plan. It is vastly different from my previous plans where I merely thought that I was thinking. Which is the point I am trying to make, we all think we think. Fine, let's make an effort to make even better decisions for ourselves and our loved ones.

I hope the pros and cons of critical thought are becoming clearer. Once you are able to make effective decisions life gets much easier.

In later articles I will mention global issues and how self directed research and evaluation assists in understanding what is actually happening.

Best of luck in your endeavours.

(The stuff in brackets can be ignored. You should have not paid it too much attention anyway unless you chose too. Now for the advanced critical thinkers, how come I got a negative interest rate on financing the W800 over three years? Total price to pay is well under the retail price. Anyway, I will cover this later but not soon. Feel free to recommend replacements for the YBR 125, it must be road legal and cope with UK winters. Thanks in advance.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David,
thank you for your thoughts on critical thinking.
Take a look at the Honda Innova (ANF125).
The reasons why I bought one 2,5 years ago:
- cheap
- low consumption (2,5l / 100km)
- reliable
- easy maintenance (Here you will find all descriptions you need for DIY-maintenance https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClchNe7oxy3wyFjLAVjnv4A
- big tires compared to scooters, All-weather tires avaiable
- half automatic gearbox with 4 gears (more fun than automatic scooter)
- nice one cylinder sound
- it weights just 105kg

The only disadvantage is the lack of power outside of cities (max. 100km/h, uphill with upwind less, sometimes only 75km/h). But inside of cities it is really funny.

Best regards
Mateo

David Watkinson said...

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for sharing and I can see why you like it. The only negative, for me, is the range. My YBR easily does 400km before refuelling. However, it is now on my buy list. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

You are right, I forgot the range. As I drive less than 10km per day, it is ok for me.
If you are curious to learn more about this bike, search for Honda cub (cheap urban bike). And make a test ride, as the gearchange is different to a normal motorbike.
They are the mass transportation vehicles in a lot af asian countries.

I have read now all articles you published since "Critical thinking 1/30", and I`m looking forward to the following publications, as I like to learn. I really appreciate your work and your hope, that things will change one day.
I don`t believe so.
It's our human nature that oppose a sustainable system change. Greed. Greed for money, power, etc. is in our genes and will prevent a better world for all.
There won`t be anything like a revolution / system change as the people aren`t independant. How many people in the western world homegrow their food? How many people have the ability to do so? And the skills, as they are not teached in our schools?
What will happen, if the system collapse, and the supermarkets are closed?
They (the masses) will have to work instead af joining a revolution.

And even if, for some miracle reason, people should stand up and end this system, who do you think will they vote next? The one promising free stuff of course. Greed will get these fraudsters elected. They just need to promise free stuff (I don`t believe that we live in democracy).
Andrew Jackson once ended the system in the USA, it took them approx. 80 years to reinstall it. Today, with all the additional control possibilities they have, it would take only a fraction of time to reinstall it. „Bread and circuses“ is working for more than 2000 years. This has its reasons.
It is a waste of time to hope for the masses to change something. As Einstiein said : “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

I stopped reading about politics, as there is only one thing you will get, if you go deep in political issues. Depressions.

Enjoy your life, you just have this one.

Have a nice day.

Best regards
Mateo

P.S.: You are really looking for a new watch? One with radioactive material inside? I bought about 10 years ago a swiss „Candino“after long research. ETA automatic clockwork with 25 jewels, sapphire glas, massive stainless steel body and bracelet, glas bottom for 120€. Optimal price-service-ratio. The bracelet broke some years ago. I did not repair it, because I don`t need a watch. I have a smartphone. Before I buy (consume) something, I ask myself: „Do I really need it?“

David Watkinson said...

Hi thanks for that. I agree, human nature is the enemy which can be overcome with a little critical thinking. The Breaking Dawn by Paul Rosenberg is an interesting read and inexpensive. I am about half way through. It gives a good guide to how things are likely to get far worse before mankind has any hope of being anything other than stupid.

I am very particular about watches. I have two mechanical Fiyta watches and two casio watches, all worn depending on what I am doing. The radioactive question is a concern but apparently consuming the liquid radioactive stuff is the equivalent of eating three bananas. It is still a concern.

I do enjoy life but it could be so much better. Like you say you only get the one life. You enjoy yours too.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tip. I have read the short summary on Amazon, and it looks like it is interesting. I`ll order it in our local book store one of the following days.
I can strongly recommend you the books written by Jared Diamond:

- Guns, Germs, and Steel
- Collapse
- The third Chimpamzee

In my opinion, a must read to understand history of human kind. And history repeats.

Best regards